@chris: Yes, I understand. This is why it's maybe better to place this applet
on a 'panel' view (e.g. by using Default-Panel theme)
=> http://uppix.net/b/e/9/8ac3af1c15a52d72cc8cc92836ff6.png

I guess indicator-printers sends the icon of your icons theme (here from
ubuntu-mono icons theme).
Feel free to report this bug to indicator-printers devs ;) =>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-printers/+filebug

@fabounet: but feel free to print something on an unavailable printer in order
to display this icon all the time ;)
I think it's maybe due to upgrades of the system: when there is an upgrade, it
seems that some signals are sent (just have a look to MP or Keyboard-Indicator).

Debug outputs are already available: some messages will be printed if
the icon has to be updated and when the icon is modified ;)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Cairo-
Dock Devs, which is subscribed to Cairo-Dock Plug-ins.

Title:
  Transparent printer indicator (icon)

Status in Cairo-Dock: Plug-ins:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Using Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS 32bit, updated today, kernel 3.2.0-41.66
  Cairo dock 3.2.1 & Unity disabled, Canon MX328 printer

  Printer indicator didn't appear while printing.
  I attach dmesg.log while I was printing..maybe it could help you analize.