Thanks for your advice. I have already played with associations, but I
could not figure out, how I can get the number of comments associated
with each post. (see the query I presented in the initial post)
In the source code of the CakePHP framework I discovered an attribute
"counterQuery" (part of the hasMany array), but it seems that the
functionality isn't implemented yet.

But to get back to the inital question:
Suppose a certain very complex query cannot be rewritten with the use
of associations: How can I refer to table names in a flexible manner,
so that prefixes are added by the framework automatically?