calzone,

This is by design, what you are getting on the live server is really a development installed path. This allows you to place another app directory in the same directory as app, for example app2 then you could access both apps during development. When you move to production I suggest setting as you did the first time, with DOCUMENT ROOT set to /app/webroot. The biggest reason is this keep everything except the webroot/* content outside of a web accessible directory.

More info:
http://manual.cakephp.org/chapter/3

--
/**