I'm making progress.

I actually got a usable UI to appear at mysite.com/acm

It had some errors about missing tables, and then missing fields.  I
took wild guesses that the missing fields should be varchar 32 to see
what would happen.

Once I stopped getting errors, I tried adding the code below to
posts_controller.php (this is the blog tutorial controller).  But now
I'm getting a php error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: _checkaccess() in
/var/www/vhosts/chriskausel.com/httpdocs/app/controllers/posts_controller.php
on line 12

And here's the code, lifted straight from the documentation.  I'm not
sure if I was supposed to change anything or not.

                var $components = array('Acl');
                var $beforeFilter = array('checkAcl');
                function checkAcl()
                {
                        $aco = $this->name . ":" . $this->action;

if($this->_checkAccess($this->Session->read('User.username'), $aco))
                        {
                                return;
                        }
                        else