Ok, helping myself out here, but just in case anyone else is looking
for the same info.

I don't know if you can set CakePHP up like how I wanted to, so I went
back to how the "alternate" config is setup in the manual and I did it
that way.

So in my case, I wanted http://www.jim.com/admin/ to be the root of my
app.

So what I had to do was copy my /app directory to /home/jim/admin
Then I moved /home/jim/admin/webroot/ to the proper location:
/home/jim/public_html/admin/

I changed my ROOT to define('ROOT', DS.'home'.DS.'jim');

and my APP_DIR to define('APP_DIR', 'admin');

And things seem to be working as they should be, now
http://www.jim.com/admin/controller_name/ works!

..and knowing is half the battle. Yay. If anyone needs a hand, feel
free to e-mail me.