I'm having a similar problem simply trying to add comments to posts.
I've tried to get a list of comments that would be associated with a
single post by adding

$this->set('comments', $this->Comment->findAll("WHERE post_id =
'$id'"));

to the view() function under posts_controller.php but that line returns
"Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object".  I don't
fully understand how to go about viewing and manipulating data like
comments that are fully dependent on posts.  I shouldn't have to set up
individual controllers and views for them because I don't want users to
have to go to /comments to view them.

Can anyone give a little insight into this as well as the original
question?