AD7six, firstly thanks for your input and contributions in the wiki and
forum. I am using PHP Version 4.4.2 and cake version 1.0.1.2708. I
looked at your cssmenu code in the wiki as i need to generate a menu
from a database - i could not get your examples to work - so i
simplified the code for testing, still not working. I put static text
in the element and it appeared in the layout, but everytime i tried to
access a method of a custom helper class i get a non-object error.
Somewhere along the line the helper class is not being
recognised/registered or instantiated. I will try a clean install of
cake and see how i go.