look I have the head helper made by rossoft:
That's functionning, nothing more, no core change.

app_controller.php

class AppController extends Controller {
   var $helpers = array('Javascript', 'Head');
}

layout/default.thtml :

        "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd";>
  <head>
    <title><?php echo $title_for_layout;?></title>
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
    <?php echo $html->charset('UTF-8');?>
    <?php echo $html->css('default');?>
    <?php  if (isset($head)) echo $head->print_registered();?>
 </head>
    <?php echo $content_for_layout;?>