I'd like to add a row to joinTable named "categories_companies" between
models "Category" and "Company". However, when I choose the category to
be added for the company in a select...

     $html->selectTag('Category/Category', $categories_array)

...and try to save the Company in the controller...

     $this->Company->save($this->params['data'])

...will cause all the rows from "categories_companies" to be deleted
and then the selected category will be inserted. The question goes: how
can I pass the already existing data from "categories_companies" to
this 'Category/Category' array which is used in the save-function to
delete and insert the associated data?

In case of checkboxes this is easy by just deleting everything and
adding all checked boxes. Here I just select the value I want to add
and everything but that gets deleted. I'd really appreciate some help
here.