I worked on a similar problem. I have not made a component (yet) But
this is what I did.
First on the controller I checked if the session data for my invoice
header data was stored.
I am new at cake.
if (!$this->Session->check('documentoventa'))
                        {
                                $sucursal = $this->Session->read('Sucursal');
                                $usuario = $this->Session->read('User');
                                $Documentoventa['fecha'] =
$this->Session->read('Fecha');
                                $Documentoventa['numero_documento'] =
$correlativo['Correlativo']['correlativo'];
                                $Documentoventa['tipodocumentoventa_id'] = 1;
                                $Documentoventa['bodega_id'] =
$sucursal['Bodega']['0']['id'];
                                $Documentoventa['cajero_id'] = $usuario['id'];
                                $this->Session->write('Documentoventa',
$Documentoventa);

                        }
                        $this->set('documentoventa',
$this->Session->read('Documentoventa'));
                        $this->set('data', $this->Session->read('Transaccion'));
                        $this->render();
Then when I want to save de products I did this.

if (!empty($this->params['data'])){
                if (!$this->Session->check('Transaccion')){
                        $this->Session->write( 'Transaccion\'][\'0' ,
$this->params['data']['Transaccion']);
                        $this->Session->write('numero_transaccion', 0);
                }
                        $numero_transaccion =
$this->Session->read('numero_transaccion');
                        $numero_transaccion++;
                        $this->Session->write(
'Transaccion\'][\''.$numero_transaccion
,  $this->params['data']['Transaccion']);
                        $this->Session->write('numero_transaccion',
$numero_transaccion);

                        $this->set('data', $this->Session->read('Transaccion'));

                }
                $this->render('fact_detalle', 'ajax');

Again I am new at cake and most probably you could optimize this code.
I bases my selft loosely on the example in the wiki.
http://wiki.cakephp.org/docs:session.
Hope that helps. Let me know what you did I apreciate it.