What I have used (but not quite for what you are doing) is to override
the beforeSave() and afterFind() functions to be able to save binary
data (arrays of information).  I think this should work ok for what you
want, as long as you aren't relying on other model functions that
directly look at the database (ie getColumnTypes(), hasField() ).

But the standard form controls (ie prepopulation, validation) just look
at the Model object after it is loaded, so you should have no problems
saving the field information as an array.

Just in case this is what you are after, I have put a paste of what I
currently use, to encode model data before being saved in the DB, and
decode when loaded.
http://www.cakephp.org/pastes/show/56c6f37eea4cba616418c649ee2eb84e