Thanks Larry

I'm need it to pick up all associations - but it's not coping with the
fact that one branch stops before it's reached the #

I'm actually setting the recursive value on the fly - it's not being
controlled by the model.

The core Cake code is a bit intense to just "hop into"

I guess a good workaround would be to write something that builds it
for me

so I could get

[Individual]
  [Membership]
    [Association]
  [Group]
    [Group Permission]
      [Permission]

If I set it to 2 I don't get errors but I don't get [Permission]
If I set it to 3 I get [Permission] and a stack of errors