I've recently started porting a site to CakePHP and have a couple of
questions regarding cron jobs.

The site had a class for managing emails that would connect to the
database and add messages to a queue table. A cron job calling a PHP
script would use this class to dispatch messages at regular intervals.
Pretty much what the Pear module Mail_Queue does:
http://pear.php.net/package/Mail_Queue

Now wasn't clear how using cron jobs works when using the CakePHP
framework, it was brought up in an existing thread (running cake code
via cron) but there was no definitive answer

I started developing the class as a component that would connect to the
database directly, however I noticed that conflicts with CakePHP and
breaks its database connection.

So in short am I able to get cron scripts to call CakePHP controller
and component functions? Or I am going to have to duplicate some of the
code in the class in a new class that doesn't use the framework?