jb-

thanks for the input but that isn't exactly the issue. What I don't
quite get is a) why I'm getting an "index" error, and b) how to
populate the db (with the imageFile [name] value in addition to the
other values passed by the form) at the same time I'm uploading the
file into a specific directory.

BTW enctype is not the issue, it is in the form tag correctly (I
mentioned that in the original post).

Just still trying to get the hang of Cake overall; I'm getting most
things to work here and there but it seems like every new thing I want
to do takes 6 hrs to figure out. Then it's like, "oohhhhh, sh---..."