I had the same issue early on, and while there's an easy fix, it's
still quite a gotcha if you're not ready for it. This is technically a
feature, not a bug...

Cake assumes that the first parameter of a method is the primary key,
even if you give it a different name. That's why it's doing an update
(on the record with that id), and that's why putting id in a get
variable works (because cake doesn't pay attention to those).

I've talked with gwoo about getting this fixed, but... it's a lot
harder to get a feature changed than a bug fixed. :-)

The simple answer for me was to manually set $this->Model->id to null
at the beginning to my function. It's probably better to call
Model->create() at the beginning, though, because it both sets id to
null, and clears any data that might have found it's way into the model.