I have found the issue with command line being different as well in some environments.

That is usually due to the webserver either being on a different host than your shell server or your webserver is using PHP through CGI.

Both of my situations are being executed by the webserver and output is in the browser.  The only difference is Cake.

My phpinfo output tells me the setting is 'off' and when I eche the ini_get value for the setting it confirms off in both circumstances.  But yet the non-cake script executes with no errors.

My host is dreamhost BTW, running PHP5.

Really odd.

Thanks for the replies.