Mark,
you can put in your view something like this:
<?php
e($html->imageTag('loading.gif','Loading...',array('id'=>'spinning_image','style'=>'display:none')))
?>
Note the "id" set to "spinning image" end the style set to
"display:none" so the image is not displayed as default

Then your ajax link can be:
$ajax_link_options = array('complete'=>..., 'update'=>...,

e($ajax->link('Click here!', '/controller/action/', $ajax_link_options,
null,false));

note the 'loading' option in $ajax_link_options
you can see the avaiable options in the API at
http://api.cakephp.org/class_ajax_helper.html#e9b39f961e4c9fd0c8a09b41532b6125

stefano