I have the same kind of setup going except that my 'admin_controller.php' is actually called 'administrators_controller.php'

My route looks like

$Route->connect('/admin', array('controller' =>'administrators', 'action' =>'index'));

I have no problems using it this way, and I maintain administrators seperate from other users so in my case 'administrators' makes sense, since there can be multiple administrators.

CakePHP is probably having a problem with routing with admin routes enabled along with the index action of your admin controller.

My guess is that your best option would be to rename your admin_controller.php to administrators_controller.php.  I know that works at least.