I believe if you add the multiverse onto the end of any line of your sources.list that has universe and then do an 'aptitude search java' you will get the sun packages again.  Just run 'aptitude install packagename'.

I did this with Ubuntu and it works fine.

Should be similar with a straight Debian distro.