Along with actually finding a minute to take a look at the validates()
code, your replies have helped me get my head around this, so thanks. I
guess I was thinking that there was some Cake magic going on.

I thought that maybe validates() was meant to used along with
invalidate() to set and get things about the validation status of a
Model - that invalidate() set something on the model other than error
messages for views (something that validates() would later consult) -
but I see the error of my ways, so I'll probably be re-coding this part
of the app not to call validates() directly.

I guess I'm still in baker school - trying to better understand where
the magic is, where the common sense is, and what the recommended
conventions are.

Thanks again,

Stephen