Here is what I am currently thinking about doing (maybe someone has already done it or tried).  I am just looking for some feedback on this.

So the ultimate goal is to get rid of the "pages" or "posts" part of the url http://example.com/pages/home, without having to specify a new route definition for every page.

So instead of http://example.com/pages/home it would be http://example.com/home.

So my idea is to have the following happen when a page is loaded (ignoring plugins and route definitions in this example)....

  1. Cake checks for a controller named 'home'
  2. If controller does not exists it tries to use the default action in a specified controller (like the pages controller) instead of displaying the controller does not exist error.
This way I can have the following

/products <--which is a controller

/home <-- which is not a controller

and /home will be passed as a parameter to a controller I have called 'cms_controller' for display instead of using something like /cms/home.

Anyone done this already?

Anyone have any ideas on whether this is possible to implement in routes.php, bootstrap.php, or app_controller.php?

Any input is appreciated.