Thanks Nate - that was it - the thing works brilliantly now.  And now
for something completely different:

I used CSS to set a max-height and overflow:auto for the returned list,
so if the results are lengthy, I get a scrollable list.  Of course, IE
(pre-7) does not recognize max-height but that's another story.  My
solution works perfectly in Firefox, but in IE, if you click the
scrollbar to scroll through the list, the list disappears!  You can use
the mouse's scroll wheel, but not the scrollbar itself.

example here: http://www.ultimediaintl.com/ivsCake/entities  (search
with Arizona (minChars = 4))

I know this has nothing to do with the Cake framework, but if anyone
knows a work-around, I'd be truly obliged...

Jonathan