I've had frustrating encoding problems in PHP before, some still
persisting on my site because  I could not fully resolve them. Your
post here is extremely helpful! I was not aware of all those setup
options.

The encoding problems in PHP have, of course, been widely excoriated.
>From your post it seems that adequate documentation could make a big
difference.

Could you try posting that on the PHP web site?

Thanks again.