Bump. I cross-checked this url database by installing CodeIgniter and
trying out the scaffolding feature there. While not quite as mature as
Cake seems to be, the CodeIgniter scaffolding code worked perfectly
with the database for all operations. It also works properly with
mod_rewrite.

I don't know what this means in terms of figuring out where Cake is
going wrong in accessing the MySQL tables in scaffolding but I thought
it might interest Cake devs that a similar project (CodeIgniter) was
able to work with the database I set up without any errors.