On Aug 7, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Shutter wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I've set up subversion/TortoiseSVN on windows for the site I'm working
> on, and I've come to like using the latest svn version of Cake
> since it
> containes the latest fixes. Right now I've just been checking out
> Cake's SVN builds from time to time and copying that to my working
> copy
> of the site, but that doesn't allow me to make any changes to the cake
> core files when necessary. (I know you're not supposed to change cake
> core files generally and that extending appcontroller/appmodel is
> better, but I've needed to make a few changes sometimes to the
> helpers,
> which tickets are already submitted for)

Make copies of those core helpers, modify them, and place them in /
app/views/helpers.

> Would there be a way to set my subversion up such that I can use it to
> merge the latest Cake version with my local website repository? Such
> that the latest version I retrieved from Cake's SVN could be merged
> with my local site in case I made changes to my local copy of cake's
> core files?
>
> Or rather, what's the best way to keep it all up-to-date without
> losing
> my modifications?

By following best practices advice and never modifying core
files. :o) Keep the CakePHP libs as an SVN working copy (so you can
update whenever you want), and keep your own apps (including your
modified helpers) in other repositories as  you see fit.

You'll always run into problems by modifying core files. The
libraries are structured in such a way that it's extensible - check
to see how to make those extensions first.

-- John