The who_we_are part vanishes from the URL because you specified it as a
static element within your route.

This route:
$Route->connect ('/who_we_are/', array('controller' => 'pages',
'action' => 'index','who_we_are'));
matches your first URL (/who_we_are/) because you have who_we_are and
nothing after it.  The only reason 'who_we_are' shows up in the
parameters is because you're passing it manually in the route.

This route, on the other hand:
$Route->connect ('/who_we_are/*', array('controller' => 'pages',
'action' => 'index', 'who_we_are'));
still matches /who_we_are/, but it also matches anything after it.  The
problem is, the two routes are effectively the same.  All you're doing
by passing 'who_we_are' as the default value is telling the router to
pass that as the default value if no other value is specified.
Unfortunately, you can't do both-and.

Hope that makes sense.

The light at the end of the tunnel is that I'm working on the Router
for Cake 1.2 this week, and the new enhancements will let you specify
more sophisticated matching rules.