@bwaters

APC has worked well for me, seemed faster than all the others
persistModel is a beauty and largely mitigates any need for view caching

one thing to look at if you have a lot of associations is using
unbindModel to remove
any associations that will not be used for the particular action. I
would not worry too much about the query caching.
Cake will cache duplicate queries automagically.

The view layer in Cake does a lot of work. So, using requestAction in
elements will save a lot.
In fact, in my opinion requestAction should not be used to return a
view more than once per request, if at all.
There is a long thread where i discussed that.

Other than that, I think you are on the right track.