I know that you cannot save associated records directly from a model
that has a hasMany relationship, but how do you do it indirectly?  I
have been all over the web for hours looking for this.

Here is a simplified version

Model Member hasMany Individual
Model Individual belongsTo Member

I am importing data and I can successfully save a new Member.  I have
an array of Individual names, but I don't know how to save them, and
keep the association intact.  Is it some variation of

$this->Member->Individual->save($record);

or do I have to declare

$uses = array("Member", "Individual");

in the MembersController, and then do

$this->Individual->save($record);

If so, how do I get the id of the member I just saved?

By the way, CakePHP is awesome, and it has already saved me weeks worth
of work, but there are massive holes in the documentation on simple
stuff like this.