here is my general rule of thumb, if I do something more then twice in views, rather then do it a third time I add it to one of my common helpers, if there is something close already in an existing helper, I try to leverage that work.  Every once in a while I revisit and try to refactor my helpers.  I have a set of helpers that I share among many projects   (they are external checkout of my svn so they are all kept in sync, then there are project specific helpers which I do not keep synced.  (I have the same thing for components, and am sure that when 1.2 roles around I'll have them for behaviors)

Sam D