The ISO is your friend!
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/04background-on-iso-3166/index.html

ISO3166-1: Country Codes
ISO3166-2: Province/State ("Subdivision") Codes
ISO3166-3: Named Places (ie, cities)

The ISO website offers them for sale, but I do remember finding one
place (and only ONE) where you could get the ISO3166-2 as a textfile
for download: http://philmcrew.com/freeworldaddressdb.html (dumb luck I
was able to find that again)

But that's in CSV format, and since I'm such a nice guy I did a dump of
my mySQL tables that I generated using the data:
http://www.preceptdesign.net/stuff/countries_provinces.sql

All nice and tidy for ya. This is from a non-Cake app though, so notice
the lack of numerical primary keys. (there's also a 'preferred' column
for countries that I used to keep the most common countries at the top
of a select-drop down).

:-)