For the moment I think having two queries - one to return the
individual user permissions, and one to return those gained through the
groups - is the right way to go.

The SQL I have managed to write to get the permissions for the
usergroups that a user is part of is this, for anyone who is
interested:

SELECT permissions, type
FROM permissions
LEFT JOIN usergroups_permissions
ON usergroups_permissions.permission_id = permissions.id
WHERE usergroups_permissions.usergroup_id
IN (
SELECT usergroup_id
FROM users_usergroups
WHERE users_usergroups.user_id = ?
);

I could probably achieve everything I want to do with a UNION, but I
havent yet looked into that, and from what I have read, theyre rather
slow....