Don't get hung up on it being AJAX.  It will eventually be AJAX.  But I
want it to work straight up without AJAX as well.  I want it to
function without being a sortable AJAX grid.  I was thinking what if I
used one of the before calls to manipulate the query.  Then to also use
a helper for the views to call them to put in the sorting links
automatically as well.

Looking at the API I am thinking this should work in app_model.php as a
beforeFind().  Now, the question that comes from that is if I set a
variable in the $this->data array in each method would that be
accesible in the beforeFind to check if set and append to the ORDER in
the queryData??

So maybe I can't make a plugin out of it, but I can achieve my goal of
having one set of coding instructions to use over and over and simplify
debugging.