thanks...
If I understand what you correctly, I will create:

/app/controllers/foos_controller.php
class FoosController extends AppController
{
    function show()
    {
        //not sure what goes here to display the html fragment I want
        //but i'll try and figure it out

Won't cakephp barf because I don't have a 'foo' table in my db?
Am I on the right track with the above?

<aside>
I meant that the cakephp manual assumes that all views have an
associated model and controller. It's hard to grasp that coming from a
legacy, spaghetti-code php tradition, or at least grasp it well enough
to know what to do when your supposed view has no model and hence no
need for a controller?
<aside>