I happen to know that there are many ways to pass data from the
Controller to the View tier, because I put many of them there myself.

Mika wrote:
> Half a dozen? I only know of 2, linking directly to the controller and
> using set. Which others are there?

https://trac.cakephp.org/browser/branches/1.2.x.x/cake/libs/view/view.php#L256

See that big long list of variable names?  That represents all the data
that is handed off to the View from the Controller.

> Also, you say the session helper provides an interface but then isn't
> that the same as linking the controller to the view? It's also just an
> interface.

No, it's not the same thing.  The CakeSession object exists on it's
own, independent of both the Controller or View tiers.  The Cake API
now provides both a helper and a component, which you can use in your
code as interfaces to this core object.

Each interface provides methods appropriate to the tier in which it
exists.