Ok tnx for the explanation :)

Reason I searched for that function was that I had split some
controller logic into a couple of reusable methods, and at a certain
point I needed to now the decision of method X inside method Y.

Of course there were plenty other solutions, but looking for a way to
retrieve the var I had set in method X was my first intention ...