The way in which you would implement it does depend on what kind of jobs you need to run.

Just like how there is no "one true backup solution" that fits everyone's needs or every situation.

Having it all based out of a "cron_controller" would allow you to build an administration interface for it within your cake application.

Accessing it via wget may pose problems with execution time, but only if the scheduled tasks take a long time to run.  It would also allow you to run the 1 real cron job required on another server (i.e. your home server/desktop computer) if your web host did not allow you access to cron.

Either way, these are all ideas.  Putting some of the different ideas together may help someone find the right solution for them.

On 9/13/06, Brian Wisti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't see the benefit of the extra roundtrip via the webserver?
>
> Isn't it more clear to have a cronjob execute a script directly
> instead of redirecting it through the webserver and an extra
> controller? Moreover, your ISP could impose limits on maximum
> execution time. Batch processing may very well take longer than the
> timeout.
>
> --
>   Martin Schapendonk, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

All things being equal, a cron job is probably the best solution. Then
again, an ISP might not allow cron jobs, forcing you to use a
workaround like this. And of course the workaround itself may end up
annoying them, too. There's just no pleasing some folks.

Kind Regards,

Brian Wisti
http://coolnamehere.com/