On 9/22/06, Chris Hartjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 9/22/06, John Zimmerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have not tried encoding my scripts but there is actually an open source
> PHP encoder.
>
> It is called Turck MMCache
>
> http://turck-mmcache.sourceforge.net/index_old.html#encoder

Actually, that's not a source code encoder.  It's an opcode cache
similar to APC or Zend Optimizer.

After further reading it looks like Turck MMCache is not being developed anymore, but has been rolled over to another project called Eaccelerator at http://eaccelerator.net/.

I have not research encoders too much beyond just trying to know what is out there, but the Eaccelerator project does state "You can encode PHP scripts using encoder.php in order to distribute them without sources."

I was assuming that this is functionality separate from the caching functionality, but I also figured that encoding solutions from Zend might be more robust.

I did a quick search via google for some comparisons and more information, but most of the info out there seems a little old.

If you know of a good comparison article please post a link back.  If I find something interesting I will do the same.