Great! Thanks for your help. I'll continue to consider ACL. But since I
want (non-techy) end-users to be able to manage permissions for those
in their hierarchy, I don't want them to be confused with having to
grant access to particlar controllers or function names (actions), etc.

So in this system, I'm categorizing my controllers, and using some
default actions (view,index,add,edit,delete), and mapping all other
actions (the exceptions) to one of the defaults - to make it easy for
the end user, and the programmer, to manage permissions.
If ACL can do this well, I'm certainly open to it.