On 10/25/06, realien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm new to cake, but not MVC so had a few questions on where the best
> place is to put some functionality as it pertains to CakePHP.
>
> 1) I parse an XML file from a dv camera and need to insert what I get
> into my database, I will have models for the data, but do I create my
> xml parse class in my own "package" and have my controller call it  and
> map it to my model somehow before inserting it into my database?  Not
> quite sure where it should fit.

You can easily create a model to do all this stuff for you.  Models in
CakePHP aren't just for database connections. :)

> 2) I authenticate a user to my database and once authenticated we
> authorize the user and store their "role" in memory.  Do we put that in
> the session and just use it where necessary or is there a more formal
> approach for authorization ?

I'd do it in the session.  Makes total sense.

Hope that helps.

--
Chris Hartjes

"The greatest inefficiencies come from solving problems you will never have."
-- Rasmus Lerdorf

@TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
@TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard