I do save it like anyone else would - the only "sanitization" I do is
$this->cleanUpFields()

Firstname and Lastname are two different fields - they aren't combined.
They relate to two different columns in a table (Contact.firstname and
Contact.lastname) that are not supposed to be blank.

Chris: The Session "flash" command will display the message you pass it
in the template where you place this:

<?php
        if (isset($this->controller->Session))
            $this->controller->Session->flash();
?>

It's a way to communicate to the user that the action either succeeded
or failed. I'm surprised you haven't seen this - Cake's Bakery script
generates session flashes for all it's CRUD functions.

-Brian