I have thought of all of this before and none of these solutions quite
seems to solve my problem.

I need to be able to recover the id for the category entry in order to
reference various related models to generate the content.

The number of parameters in the url needs to be dynamic and must
control a mysql self join. The results of this self join need to
populate the category model.

I can not pass the id into the controller in this case. I also can't
use a findall or findallbyname since the names of a category might not
be unique. I need to be able to handle an url like the following
examples. All of them.

domain.ext/categories/books/
domain.ext/categories/books/programming
domain.ext/categories/programming/
domain.ext/categories/software/
domain.ext/categories/software/product/
domain.ext/categories/software/product/downloads
domain.ext/categories/software/product/reviews

where the parameters passed to the categories controller will determine
what else happens. I can control the rest but I can't seem to get
around populating the category model with the information it needs. I
can get the param count and construct the query manually - is there a
trick to approaching this problem from such an angle? Am I missing
something entirely.

I cant split the controllers up. I need this to work from a single
categories_controller and I need to get the id of the category from the
nested url in a single query if at all possible. A self join will do
this. I can manage the sql generation easily enough.