I once had the same problem with the Isunique validation rule when
editing  my email field. I tried to create my own method which did
seem to work. But along the way I quickly realized I was not doing
things properly.
My problem was in the database, I was using an old database and some
records where using the same email address. They were added using the
previous system which did not check to see if the email was unique.
And obviously these records where not added from my app, otherwise the
isunique error could have popped up. In my app I was able to view the
user details but I couldn't edit. When I removed one of  the duplicate
record, everything worked perfectly.

Please run an sql query on your database to check if there are no
other records using the same email. I hope this helps.