INNER was the word I needed to remember to get an alternative to
work.

For other people here's what the end query (which returns the same as
the above query) turned out to be.

SELECT `Contact`.`id`, `Contact`.`name` FROM `contacts` AS `Contact`
INNER JOIN contact_companies AS `ContactCompany` ON
(`ContactCompany`.`contact_id` = `Contact`.`id`) WHERE 1 = 1 ORDER BY
`Contact`.`name` ASC

and the Cakephp way is (in my Contact model)

$this->find('list', array(
     'joins' => array(array(
        'table' => 'contact_companies',
        'alias' => 'ContactCompany',
        'type' => 'INNER',
        'conditions' => array(
                'ContactCompany.contact_id = Contact.id',
                ),
        )),
    'order' => 'Contact.name'));

(I typed that out, so don't shoot me if I'm missing a parenthesis or
something)