To test I just added a fresh install of CakePHP to a completely
different server. I created a sample table with the following
structure:

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `samples` (
  `id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `identifier` int(11) NOT NULL,
  `name` varchar(32) NOT NULL,
  `created` datetime NOT NULL,
  `modified` datetime NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
  KEY `identifier` (`identifier`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB  DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=1;

I created an app model:

http://pastebin.com/cFwssU5M

A sample model:

http://pastebin.com/BiPs1Dma

A shell script with two functions. One to populate the database and
one to read random records while iterating:

http://pastebin.com/maCjAFV6

Even with a fresh install, debug set to 0, no callbacks, no
associations, cacheQueries set to false, the memory usage still climbs
steadily when iterating over a find().

In the past I have gotten away with just upping the maximum memory a
PHP script can consume but with larger datasets, that hack isn't
cutting it anymore.