What is being said is that you have some conventions you didn't
follow. As a result, you are writing overly-complicated code to handle
what should be automatic within the framework.

Do this:

1) move / rename your users_links table and data to a links_users
table inside mysql.
2) remove completely the model for your join table - the UsersLink
model.
3) define a normal habtm relationship between the User model and the
Link model.
4) read the manual before you start another project - all of this is
clearly explained in many translations.