ah, some other part of the system is making the save()?
I mean, there needs to be a save to get the last insert ID?

and.. is this helpful?
public $virtualFields = array('insert_id' => 'last_insert_id()');

I think there are some problems listed on the 'net about mysql client connections holding their own value for the last insert ID too that you may need to be wary of.