the default home.ctp has a display to inform if rewrite is not working.
is the cake.generic stylesheet applied & can you view localhost/pages/home
(with css applied too)?
if the answer to the above is yes then all is well the home.ctp you have is
displaying an element that the stylesheet should hide.
all is infact fine.

otherwise you need to look at you mod rewrite setup - search the group for
discussions on this (some hosts are pesky & mod rewrite is a PIA anyhoo*)
http://book.cakephp.org/view/917/Apache-and-mod_rewrite-and-htaccess

*1and1 and godaddy especially
 - S