If someone types in the address, or follows a bookmark (happens all
the time as user bookmarks the login page), there is no referer as
they have not clicked on a link from another page.

Try: http://book.cakephp.org/view/1270/loginRedirect
(which by the way says the referer is only populated from links to
pages within your site)

HTH, Paul
@phpMagpie