Can you show me the documentation that says you can set variables from
an element to be used in the layout?

If something is wrongly documented the core team will gladly correct
it, but remember an element is not a view ... whilst closely related
to views, an element is not meant to interact with the layout.

What may seem a simpler approach to you does not neccessarily equal a
cleaner approach.  You're changing the request and response process
from:

- Controller (recieves request)
- Model (requests and processes relevant data)
- Controller (passes data to view)
- View (constructs view - should be doing minimal data processing)
- View elements (passing data sent from model to view)
- Layout (builds layout around view - should be doing even less data
processing than view)
- Layout elements (passing data sent from view to layout)

to:

- Controller (recieves request)
- Model (requests and processes relevant data)
- Controller (passes data to view)
- View (bypass, as not building view)
- View elements (bypass, as not building view)
- Layout (builds layout around nothing as no view passed)
- Loader elements (now you request and try to display all your data)

Essentially, you are using elements in a non-conventional manner, then
saying the documentation is wrong!

HTH, Paul
@phpMagpie