Ok, I have two separate Cake applications, both experiencing this error. And
in the one case, its a brand-new installation. I quite literally just
uploaded the files and setup permissions on the tmp directory.

I'm running an Ubuntu Linux server. The other installation has been running
without incident until last weekend and I'm just getting back to this now.
My first instinct is to think this is a permissions problem. However,
looking at the permissions on the tmp directory and its subdirectories,
they're all set to 777. That being the case, I don't think ownership should
be a problem, should it?